I haven’t mentioned the library for a while. Partly because I am sulking with my nearest (which has been done up and looks quite amazing, though I don’t like self service in a library, it just seems all wrong) because since re-opening they still think I have a book that I gave back over 2 years ago and now every time I go there we have a very tiresome and long winded conversation about how I gave it back, they then closed and no I don’t owe them £7.99 for a replacement book!!!! It is most infuriating and puts me off going to be honest.
Right off my little drama soap box, though I do feel better for a vent! Anyway I have been to some of my ‘sort of’ local libraries and this is what I have picked up of late…
- Honour & Other Peoples Children – Helen Garner (I loved ‘The Spare Room’ – if you haven’t read it you simply must – and so have been meaning to read more of her work. I also love these editions of Penguin Modern Classics)
- Loitering With Intent – Muriel Spark (my taste for Spark seems to have exploded this year and have seen lots of bloggers saying this is fantastic)
- A Woman in Berlin – Anonymous (Kim of Reading Matters suggested this for the NTTVBG but it didn’t quite get in, I wasn’t sure about it but having read her review of it I then wanted to read it – isn’t that always the way?)
- The Comforters – Muriel Spark (I am always intrigued by any author I loves first novel, and this was Muriel’s)
- The Still Point – Amy Sackville (I know it got long listed for the Orange but that’s not why I got it, the cover called to me and Gaskella really rated it a few weeks ago)
- Coraline (The Graphic Novel) – Neil Gaiman (though only posted about it yesterday I really enjoyed ‘The Graveyard Book’ a few weeks ago and this will give me a push in the direction of Graphic Books which I tend to avoid/slightly sneer upon – no idea why)
- Barbequed Husbands – Betty Mindlin (folklore tales and myths from the depths of the Amazon, what could be more perfect for ‘Reading for Brazil’?)
So that’s my lot of latest library loot! Oh and speaking of library loot can we all send our best ‘get well soon vibes’ to Eva of A Striped Armchair. I am missing her blog lots, especially her library vodcasts!
What have you got from you library of late? Have you read any of the above?