I have to admit I have been in rather a reading funk of late and I think I might have worked out part of the reason why, I have begun to feel a little bit encroached by my books, which is delightful yet daunting all in one as you can see from the view when I wake up in the morning…
And if I turn the other way it gets even more noticeable…
And that’s all without even looking at the six boxes crammed in the spare room filled with books!! So I have decided that I need to have something of a cull on Mount TBR which you can see is rather large if you pop to its own page, yes it gets its own page on this blog that’s how big it is. I even have some guests, well Polly of Novel Insights, coming to help me sort it all out and to be fiercely firm with me on what I really going to read and what realistically I’m not.
I am fairly sure that I am not the only person out there in the book blogosphere who has this issue. Lots of lovely books coming in, which we all adore – I am not moaning, and then a sudden little freak out about all the ones you already had and when you are going to get to them, especially those ones you bout for 50p on impulse because ‘you might read them one day’.
So far I’ve come up with the following, though I am sure there are loads more…
- How long have I had the book for – if it’s over three years and I haven’t tried I am ever going to actually read it?
- Have I loved other books by the same author?
- Did someone give it to me or have I asked for it from a publisher?
- If I bought it on a whim what was it that made me buy it, can I remember?
- Have I tried it before and not liked it, do I realistically think I ever will?
I am not sure that they are strict enough though? So how do you sort a cull, what criteria do you have? Or do you not cull at all and just let the book piles grow and grow? We all need a clear out though now and again don’t we?