Can you believe we are halfway through 2011 already? I have more thoughts on all that coming later on today. Why is it that knowing you are halfway through a year makes you think about everything more? Like I said, more on that later today. In the meantime I thought I would give you a list of my books of the year so far. There have been more than ten in my ‘Books of 2011’ category, some have grown on me, some faded over time and some like the marvellous new Ali Smith novel ‘There But For The’ still need a little time to settle on me as do about six books I have read recently and have still only done small notes on pre-review. Getting back to the point without further ado, here are my favourite reads of 2011 so far…
- The Proof of Love by Catherine Hall
- Gillespie and I by Jane Harris
- Annabel by Kathleen Winter
- Cat’s Eye – Margaret Atwood
- Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford
- Grace Williams Says It Loud by Emma Henderson
- The Mermaid’s Singing by Val McDermid
- A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley
- Jamrach’s Menagerie by Carol Birch
- Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson
I wonder if these will still be some of my favourites by the end of the year. There are a few contenders that I haven’t put reviews up on the blog, in fact ‘Swamplandia!’ by Karen Russell which I read ages ago, but haven’t reviewed yet could be a contender. Of course my end of year favourites allow me to cheat a little more, I have ten released in the year and ten released before, this mid-way post is more of a merge.
It is of course now pretty much summer time, and so you could really say that really this is my list of summer reading recommendations, should you be in the need of any. What are your favourite books of the year so far? What would you recommend I get reading over the summer months?