Some of you will have already probably heard the news that the Green Carnation Prize 2013 longlist, which celebrates LGBT writing, was announced earlier today. For the first year in the prizes four years I’ve actually not done been on the judging panel or indeed been involved in the judging process/discussions (I have been doing all the admin behind the scenes) so it has all been rather weird and also extremely exciting as I have been desperate to know what the longlist would be. Well, here it is…
- Gob’s Grief – Chris Adrian (Granta Books)
- Five Star Billionaire – Tash Aw (4th Estate)
- Maggie & Me – Damian Barr (Bloomsbury)
- Environmental Studies – Maureen Duffy (Enitharmon)
- Fallen Land – Patrick Flanery (Atlantic Books)
- Black Bread White Beer – Niven Govinden (The Friday Project)
- The Sea Inside – Philip Hoare (4th Estate)
- May We Be Forgiven – A. M. Homes (Granta)
- The Kills – Richard House (Picador)
- Fanny & Stella – Neil McKenna (Faber and Faber)
- Almost English – Charlotte Mendelson (Mantle Books)
- Far From The Tree – Andrew Solomon (Chatto & Windus)
What an eclectic mix! I have only read two and a half of these so far (loved the Barr, need to review the brilliant Govinden – though I have interviewed him – and am now reading the Homes, by coincidence. for book club this week) and so I have decided that I will try, when the mood takes, to read them before the shortlist is announced on November the 5th. You can find out about the longlisted titles in more detail here.
What do you think of the list? Which of these have you read and what did you make of them?