I have mentioned a couple of times in the last few weeks and months that I feel that Savidge Reads needs to have a rethink and a reassessment of where it is going and what it is doing. This is in part because I always think it is good to have a think about where you are at in all aspects of your life every now and again (I did used to be an Agony Uncle, so watch out sometimes I get all deep and therapeutic) and after a Fiction Uncovered FM segment with the lovely Naomi Frisby talking about reviewing now and the role of bloggers and all sorts of other shenanigans which really made me think about my role as a blogger – which when you sit at your laptop and type your reading diary you tend to forget.
I could write a long old blog about all the things it made me ponder, but that might head towards navel gazing and be quite a boring thing to read. Plus you can hear all the things I thought as I discussed them on the radio here and laughed about them. Instead I thought to make it short sharp and snappy (and keep it upbeat, no one likes a woe is me blog post, seriously they don’t) I would let you know what you will be getting from Savidge Reads moving forward – I love a bullet point or several…
- More blog posts – now I have finished judging and have caught up there will be more reviews a coming (this was heightened only today when I was finding new spaces for new books and emptied one particular group of shelves which had over 60 books I have read but not reviewed lurking on it)
- More commenting – I have been rubbish at commenting back I am so sorry, I am hoping reading over 100 books in three months will allow some forgiveness for this error
- More books you might not have heard of – whilst I am sure I will fall foul to some hyped books (A Little Life will be my book of the year, some deserve ALL the hype) and of course want to be reading the next books by my favourite big authors like Margaret Atwood etc, but I really want to go off and find real gems hidden away from all over the shop and then share them with you
- More features – I have some ideas for new features and series of blog posts coming, like Readers Retreats next week, you will also get more of the same, no blog tours though
- More negative posts – It sounds odd to say its a good thing to write about more books I don’t like, but if you only hear about what I do like how will you have anything to compare it to? Also lots and lots of you loved my post tearing a new one into Andy Weir’s The Martian and so as long as I keep it constructive and only go totally to town on books selling millions, so the author couldn’t give a toss what I think, it is all win win
- More me – as in more personality, not the ins and outs of my private life as no one needs more of that, just more of the me you hear on The Readers (snarky and banter based basically)
Erm, in a nutshell just more. I have the blogging bug back again, even though I don’t half feel rusty at it. Especially the reviewing part, I am dusting of the rust though and getting back in the swing tomorrow. In the meantime if you have any thoughts on what you would (or wouldn’t, there’s always one) like to see on Savidge Reads then let me know.